Friday, April 21, 2017

Athens, Georgia

When I was a kid I fell in love with Michael Stipe
 I took lyrics out of context and thought "he must be speaking to me" 
-Car Seat Headrest "Strangers"

Athens, Georgia is a pretty, southern university town that for whatever reason is home to a bunch of bands I like so I wanted to stop there and see what it is and see the historic 40 Watt Club.

Bands like....

Pylon!




The B-52s!




Drive-By Truckers!



Of Montreal!



(and Widespread Panic, The Whigs, Drivin N Cryin... more)

and of course...

REM!




Had dinner at Weaver D's, tasty chicken and gravy dinner, note their long-held motto on the sign...

and the title of REM's best album... (neat, eh?)


All the bands listed above got their start at least partially at the 40 Watt Club, sometimes called "the CBGB's of the South", a music venue so venerated it even appears on Tank Girl's t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment